Book Club Discussion Questions
Questions for Book Discussion for Struck by Living
- In some of her speeches, Hersh explains that the white writing at the top of the book cover is text taken from an early version of the book. Why do you think she inserted this on the cover? She explains a dual meaning for the image on the cover and the title. After reading the book, does the title and image have new meaning for you? What does it mean?
- Some people have reacted to the doctor scene with confusion. To them the scene seems to have too much power and they don’t believe the scene should be included in the book. What do you think, cut or keep? Why?
- If you were a director casting the Struck by Living movie, who would play Julie, Ken, LaTisha, Dr. Galen, Dr. Yvonne and the three friends: Miriam, Roxanne and Tara.
- Is Ken a saint or part of the reason why Julie became depressed? What impact do spouses have on our mental health?
- Hersh does not sugarcoat motherhood. Did you find her thoughts foreign or did her description resonate with your experience? Discuss.
- Do you think Hersh could have done something to avoid her experience? What would that be?
- Why is LaTisha such a comforting character? What qualities could we emulate in our every day lives to live with more compassion toward others?
- At the end of Chapter 23, Hersh ends with the line “Come pick me up,” I told him. “I’m cured.” Do you think Hersh is cured? Why or why not?
- In the Chapter “The Calvary Arrives” Hersh talks about her good friends intervening to help her. Do you have friends with whom you would take these same actions? Would you continue to persist even when a friend pushes you away?
- Hersh begins Chapter 25 “Relapse” with the line “I wanted my story to end on the mountaintop.” Why did Hersh go off medication? Do you know of someone who has done this? Do you believe that some people really need medicine to maintain mental health?
- What do you wish your friends knew about you? What incident from your past would help your friends understand you?
- What experiences in your life have shaped your current attitudes about yourself?
- Do you think you suffer from depression? If so, what are the warning signs your friends should watch in your behavior
- Julie often mentions her Struck by Living Top 6 in her talks. These are the top things she does to maintain mental health. What are the things that keep you well? How do you take care of yourself?
- Do you know where to call in your community to get assistance for yourself or others?
Struck by Living is available now for a suggested retail price of $19.95. Please click the below link to order a copy of Struck by Living.
Also, available for purchase on the Kindle and the iPad.
Show your support for the book on Facebook
Learn more about Julie's background on LinkedIn
Follow us on Twitter
Check out our videos on YouTube